Please join us for our August monthly Big Country SHRM meeting at Abilene Country Club from 11:45 AM to 1:00 PM.
Topic: 2-1-1 Texas A Call for Help Community Resource Center
Speaker: Mary Cooksey
Mary Cooksey, serves as the 2-1-1 Texas A Call for Help program director for the United Way of Abilene. In that role since 2004, Cooksey is responsible for leading a collaboration of the United Way of Abilene, City of Abilene, and Texas Health and Human Service Commission.
Cooksey works with staff and volunteers to guide an internationally accredited organization in providing information and referral services for the 19-counties of West Central Texas, as part of the statewide 2-1-1 Texas system. People dial 2-1-1 to reach this free, confidential service, 24-hours a day in more than 100 languages, to get connected to the services they need. In addition to information and referral services, 2-1-1 Texas A Call for Help is the regional hub for nonprofit collaboration.
A native of Minot, North Dakota, Cooksey earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications Arts. She began her career life in broadcasting. Cooksey held a variety of operational, marketing and sales positions for public and commercial television stations in North Dakota. Coming to Texas in 1985 to work at KRBC-TV, Cooksey went on to be named the first director of the National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature (NCCIL).
Cooksey made another career change in 2000, when she joined the United Way of Abilene as the Campaign Director. After leading four community campaigns that each raised more than $2 million dollars, she took the opportunity to coordinate the start-up of 2-1-1 in West Central Texas. She now serves on several state and national boards and committees for the advancement of information and referral services.
Mary, and her husband Vance, have two grown children.
2-1-1 Texas A Call for Help Community Resource Center
Increase top of mind awareness of 2-1-1 the free, confidential helpline, available 24/7/365 for assistance with finding connections to basic needs like food, prescription assistance, and help paying the rent and utilities. This training will focus on:
- · Increasing public awareness of community services available to help individuals in need
- · Educate HR professionals on using 2-1-1 Texas tools online and calling , Pathways to Help flyer, and www.acallforhelp.info
- · Demonstrate a 2-1-1 Information and Referral experience by making a 2-1-1 test call
- 1. Discuss how 2-1-1 Information & Referral Services can aid HR professionals in serving their people
- 2. Describe the Community Flyers webpage and what type of resources that are listed
- 3. Describe the Basic Needs Network (BNN) portal and Quarterly meetings
- 4. Discuss the 2016 Needs and Trends Report for 2-1-1 Texas A Call for Help
- 5. Discussion and understanding between the difference of option 1 and option 2 behind the 2-1-1 phone number.